Former UK consulate worker ‘tortured’ in China

British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab

London/Beijing, Nov 20 (IANS) A former employee of the UK’s Hong Kong consulate has said that he was tortured in China after being detained during his trip to that country earlier this year.

Simon Cheng, a Hong Kong citizen, who worked for the UK government for almost two years, was detained for 15 days on a trip to mainland China in August, BBC reported.

“I was shackled, blindfolded and hooded,” Cheng was quoted as saying by the BBC.

UK government sources said they believe Cheng’s claims of being “beaten and forced to sign confessions” are credible.

Meanwhile, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has summoned the Chinese ambassador in this regard.

Raab said that the UK is “outraged by the disgraceful mistreatment” that Cheng faced during his detention period in mainland China.

He asked the Chinese authorities to hold to account those responsible.

However, the Chinese foreign ministry has said that China would “not accept” the summons and would instead summon the UK envoy to “express their indignation”.

“We hope the UK will be prudent and stop interfering in Hong Kong and in China’s domestic affairs,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.